Monday, September 16, 2013

The definition of a good show

 I've gotten feedback from various people on the recaps that I write, and most of them say that I'm too soft on shows, and I think that is true. I am unwilling to come right out and say that a show made no sense or that it was terrible. The main reason I've held back for so long is because I felt the need to draw more fans to independent wrestling. I felt the need to let people know about various promotions and what they offer. The time for that is over.

I go to an independent wrestling show almost every weekend in order to keep this blog varied and interesting. I watch shows that are amazing, and I watch shows that make wonder why they exist. Most exist on a sliding scale somewhere in between.  Does it bother me that a dreadful show can draw 300 people while a stellar show only draws 100? It bothers me more I realized. It bothers me that my reviews could be seen as propaganda in support of dreadful wrestling shows simply because I've never felt qualified enough to voice my real opinion.

I've struggled over the definition of a good show for the past few days, and the answer is so simple that it should have hit me months ago. Make me care.  Tell me a story, and draw me into your world.  If I'm cheering for faces or booing heels just out of habit, then it's not enough.  Elicit a genuine emotional response from me.  Look me in the eyes, insult me, rip my heart out, and make me scream.  Make me laugh, make me cry, make me feel.  Make me look forward to what happens next. If you're a heel, you should be pure evil. Your job is doubly hard because you've got to be evil enough to make me care about the hero. If you're a face, make me love you.

I'm certain there are other opinions on what makes a good wrestling show, but those are what I plan to judge shows on from here on out.  It's not personal at all. It's just what I feel is best for the fans. 

No comments:

Post a Comment