Sunday, July 21, 2013

Southern Fried Championship Wrestling--Monroe, GA. July 20, 2013

Not rain, nor sleet, nor insanity of child shall keep me from my appointed rounds. Yesterday was a terrible day, yet wrestling was the cure. Ian wanted to see D.O.C from Aces and Eights, and we went to Monroe, GA last night to do just that. He signed autographs and took pictures with fans at a table at the back of the performance area. My son went right up to him and shook his hand. D.O.C. asked him to give him a fist bump.  He was very friendly, and Ian asked him how the TNA show from Thursday was. D.O.C said "I watched it at home. I don't work there anymore." The interaction was nice, and since that was the main reason we attended the show, we left with exactly what we wanted.

Tommy "Wildfire" Rich was there signing photos as well. I remember going to a show in Conyers, GA in the mid 1980's, and he was on the card. It was one of the first wrestling shows I attended. I don't remember anything about the show other than he was there. We got his autograph last night and spoke to him for a few minutes.

The first match was a tag match. I had a hard time hearing the names. The acoustics in the venue weren't great. I know the second team involved in the match were "The Company", the team of Chris and Jerry Nelms. They entered second, which I found peculiar because I think they are the bad guys. In later matches, the bad guys entered first, which confused me further.

Kody Jack and Fry Daddy put on a good match. Kody Jack won, and Fry Daddy got mad afterward and beat him up.

The triple threat between The Patriot, Lobo, and another guy whose name I didn't catch was also good. The Patriot won that one.

Leatherface fought against D.O.C. in a street fight. The match was good until the end. They fought through the crowd, hitting each other with chairs. They fought into the back, and the audience didn't follow. The audience sat waiting for them to come back. They never did. I think it was a double countout, but honestly, I'm not certain. They never rang the bell. They went onto the next match leaving the audience extremely confused. It had an ending similar to the O. Henry short story, The Lady and the Tiger. You're left wondering what happened and you never get a clear answer.

I think this promotion has a lot of good talent. Vicious Vic Roze, Kody Jack, Billy Jack, all put on good matches. Vic Roze did a chain match against the Convict Blade that was good, though it got really bloody very quickly. Blade got the win because Chris Nelms came out while the ref was distracted and interfered on behalf of Blade. This led to The Company beating up Vic, and then the good guys came out to do the save.  This was the second to last match.  It felt like a main event, and a lot of the crowd sensed that the show was over. Some left. Vic Roze is probably the most popular wrestler in this promotion. He does get the audience engaged by yelling his very simple catch phrase "Who's Your Daddy?" Several fans wore his shirt, and others had signs cheering him.

The bright spot of the show was the main event. Steve Lawler vs. Tommy Rich in a Monroe Street fight. These two really put on a good match. Steve Lawler, who I believe is a member of The Company, came out dragging the referee with him. He heeled it up pretty good. Tommy Rich came out to cheers. The match spilled out into the audience. Tommy Rich hit Steve Lawler with a coke, and it sprayed all over the audience. They fought right next to us, we had to move from our seats because the action was so close. It was exciting. Steve Lawler used brass knuckles on Tommy Rich, then Tommy Rich got hold of the knuckles and used them on Steve. Tommy Rich won the match. I know the two of them are veteran wrestlers, and I could tell by the way they drew the audience in. This match was the one match on the card that really made me care.

This show was the first time that as a first time audience member I had real trouble figuring out what was going on. I am still confused as how the two monsters, Maul and Leatherface are heroes. I guess I have a hard time wanting to cheer a guy with a chainsaw and blood on his apron. A lot of the run-ins didn't make sense. Nothing drew me in and said "You need to come back."

The next time I report to you I'll be back in Porterdale at their next show August 3rd.
Till then, XOXO
Wrestling Fan Girl. 

No comments:

Post a Comment