Monday, June 24, 2013

In caving to peer pressure, my thoughts on Chris Benoit

Every other blog is buzzing about Benoit today because it's the 6th anniversary of the day we found out that he killed his wife Nancy and their 7 year old son Daniel before ending his own life. I've been in many debates on the subject in the past three days because I have strong feelings on the subject.

During my second wrestling fandom, between the years of 1999 and 2001, I was a huge Benoit fan. I printed out pictures of him and put them on my wall in my college dorm. I cheered every time he was on my tv screen. He was the first technical wrestler I really liked. Most of my other favorites were high flyers like Mysterio, the Hardy Boys, and Edge and Christian. I understand where you are coming from, Internet Fans, when you say his technical wrestling skills are unparalleled.

I stopped watching wrestling for years. I lost interest in it because I was dating a pretentious intellectual who liked other things. He and I had little in common it turns out. We broke up. I met and married someone else. So did he. I was likely a fool for conforming to his interests.

The next time I heard the name Chris Benoit was in 2007. I was pregnant with my son. I was drinking a cup of coffee in our local bookstore and coffee shop. My father came in to talk to me for a few minutes because he saw my car in the parking lot. He was looking at the newspaper and we both saw the headlines about Chris Benoit killing his wife and child. I remember saying "I used to really like him." My dad was never a big fan of him because of the way he entered WWE with Eddie Guerrero. He didn't appreciate the fact that they turned on Mick Foley. I remember saying to him when that storyline was going on "You know this is scripted, right?"

Anytime someone compares my current favorite wrestler, Daniel Bryan to Chris Benoit, I die a little inside. I know why they make the comparison. It is because they are of similar size, and they are both considered the best at submission style wrestling. I know I'm overreacting, but I mentally panic at the idea of Daniel Bryan snapping and killing his future children.

I despise it when fans say they don't understand why WWE limits wrestler's move sets when they sign them. These same people often blame the wrestling industry for causing Chris Benoit's mental deterioration.

Go ahead and hate me. I do not believe that Chris Benoit deserves to ever be in the WWE Hall of Fame. Nothing you say will change my mind on this issue. The reason I believe this is simple. He killed his 7 year old child who loved him and trusted him to keep him safe. Other child murderers do not get our respect and adoration simply because they had cool jobs. There is no reason he should either.I can't remember the good things about his career when I see pictures of his wife and son.


No comments:

Post a Comment