Sunday, May 5, 2013

C-H-I-K-today-A-R-A Chikara Hey Hey Chikara--The Ghost of You Clings May 4, 2013 Porterdale GA

I was fortunate enough to sit in the second row at Chikara's GA debut, The Ghost of you Clings, last night. This show was awesome. Before the show, I talked to Ophidian. Ophidian is a King Cobra.  He crawls into the ring on his belly when he enters.   I bought a poster of him, and I got his autograph. When he autographs pictures, he blows his cobra breath on them.  I liked the fact that he thanked me for coming out, and that he thanked me for supporting independent wrestling.

The show started with a match from PCW's own Washington Bullets against Shane Marx and the Jagged Edge. They really pulled out all the stops for this match. This was one of the best matches I've seen these four men engage in. The fans who were merely visiting to see Chikara really got into this match, and I think it will draw a new fan base for PCW for the next show on May 18th. The Washington Bullets won and the crowd went crazy.

Gavin Loudspeaker started the Chikara portion of our show by singing a protest song against Wink Vavasseur that was set to the tune of the Monkees television theme song.  Gavin's sing alongs are awesome, and they really set the tone of the show.

There was a large group in support of Shenron, who made his Chikara debut against Chuck Taylor. Chuck Taylor went and ripped up their sign, and then he did an elbow drop on it. Shenron beat Chuck Taylor and he made a great showing.

The Shard and Jigsaw beat Fire Ant and Assailant. We were disappointed by this because we really love the colony. I wonder if their momentum is down because Soldier Ant has left.

The next match was one that we were really looking forward to, Amasis vs. Kobald. Kobald is a blue faced goblin, and Amasis is known as the Funky Pharaoh. Kobald embraces his gimmick fully. I've heard recent radio interviews with him where he is 100% in character for 30-45 minutes at a time. He explained on Georgia Wrestling Now that while he was training as a wrestler he had to hide his goblin identity by wearing a human mask. Amasis won their match, and the crowd went crazy. I was pulling for Kobald because of the radio interviews. I think his character is one of the most interesting that I've observed in professional wrestling. 

Sugar Dunkerton took on Gran Akuma. Icarus got  Sugar Dunkerton disqualified because he interfered in the match. Dunkerton ended his alliance with FIST, and now he's a free agent. I'm certain this will be addressed on the June 2nd pay per view. I'm not certain what the consequences of this decision will be, but I can't wait to find out.

During intermission, almost every wrestler had their wares out. Loads of pictures, t-shirts, and autographs were available. I purchased a picture from Assailant. I didn't take enough pictures during this show because the venue was packed, and I mostly just felt like looking around.

The Extreme Colony with Deviant beat The Spectral Envoy. Ultramantis Black lost his cool and ripped off Arctic Rescue Ant's mask and was disqualified.

Tim Donst came out and started his crusade against Gavin Loudspeaker that has been going all season. Gavin hid behind the referee, and he came out into the audience on our side. We started yelling to Tim Donst to go home, and Gavin heard us and said it too. Tim Donst is terrible. He has minions in Steve the Turtle, Veronica Ticklefeather, and his most loyal minion Jakob Hammermeier. He's terrible to Jakob. He rips his shirt, he cuts pieces of his hair off, and he hits him repeatedly. Gavin tries to get Jakob to stand up to Tim, but Jakob's love of Tim held him faithful. Saturyne comes out to wrestle Tim and she beats him. The crowd went crazy during this match. No one had any issue with the fact that a female wrestler took on a man. I did hear a few "haha you got beat up by a girl" chants. Tim took out his anger at losing first on his minion, then he took it out on Gavin Loudspeaker. He laid him out, and then he cut off a piece of his long curly hair. He then put that hair in his mouth and chewed on it then spit it on the floor. Gavin was taken out on a stretcher.

Mark Angelosetti lost to Eddie Kingston who retained the grand championship. That was a very physical match. I cheered for Kingston, and my son cheered for Angelosetti.  Kingston has to defend the championship at every event because of a decree by Wink Vavasseur, the so-called director of fun. I'm very curious to see how long he can keep the belt because he's defending it so often. He defended twice this weekend, Friday in Gibsonville, N.C. and Saturday in Porterdale.

The final match was The Batiri vs. 3.0. My son and I came to the show wearing masks that resemble Obariyon and Kodama's facepaint.  When Kodama came to the ring, he looked at us like he saw a ghost because we were essentially wearing his face. He pointed us out to the referee and the rest of the crowd. 3.0 retained their tag team championships even though Kobald and Ophidian attempted to help the Batiri cheat.

I can honestly say this show was worth every minute I spent making fan gear to prepare for it, every minute I waited for the doors to open, every dollar I spent for tickets, and every dollar I spent to get photos of my favorite wrestlers. I wish I'd taken more effort to get my pictures made with wrestlers because everyone was very friendly and they really appreciate their fans. I hope Chikara returns to GA again. I will definitely be there. Catch Chikara online on June 2nd for the Ippv Never Compromise. Go to chikarapro.com for ticket information and details on how to order the Ippv.








2 comments: