Sunday, November 11, 2012

Alternate Universe---UIW November 10, 2012

Last night my family and I went up to Buchanan, GA to Universal Independent's show. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The Haralson County Rec. Complex is a good venue for a show, and I appreciate the fact they open the doors well before bell time so I had time to get snacks, browse around the merchandise booths, and get an autographed picture of one of my favorite stars from my childhood, Robert Gibson of The Rock and Roll Express. When I was 6 years old, my family and I went to see NWA live at the Omni. My favorite tag team at the time was Rock and Roll Express, and I remember seeing them in action that night. It was great to get to talk to one of my childhood heroes. Rock and Roll Express is supposed to be in Tag Team Action at UIW's show on November 17th in Villa Rica.

The show began with all of the wrestlers coming out to the ring for a moment of silence and a 10 bell salute to Brad Armstrong who recently passed away. After this, Josh Storm comes out and cuts a promo. He talks about the concept of "Family First", which it turns out is the name of the team he's a part of.  Josh Storm is set to team up with former WCW star Glacier against The So Fine Mafia and Stupid. Frankie Valentine, who is coming off an injury, comes out to the ring and says he plans to join Josh in the tag team match to even the odds.  The crowd is going crazy to see Josh and Frankie reunited. A 6 man tag team match is set up as the main event.

Match 1: Marko Polo vs. Supernatural
The first match has a 10 minute time limit. Marko Polo struts out with his usual sexiness. I love his swagger and I love his fur coat. The announcer points out that he had a role in Magic Mike. I'm going to go back and watch this film again to find out if this is true. Anyway, he is far too cocky for the crowd here in Buchanan, GA. Tim Mcgraw's "I like it, I love it" hits, and I'm thinking oh their hero is a cowboy...well, out comes a familiar face, or mask rather. Supernatural enters wearing a cowboy hat and dancing to country music. This went over great with the audience. My husband could not stop laughing. I heard a group of kids yell 619 at Supernatural, and I can only assume that they believed he was Rey Mysterio. Marko manages to dominate the first part of this match, however, Supernatural picks up the win by pinning Marko. Supernatural had his foot on the ropes during the pin, but the referee didn't catch it. The audience chanted crybaby at Marko after his loss. Next week at Villa Rica these two are set to face each other again.

Match 2: Common Knowledge Damon Kristopher vs. The Demigod Mason
The next match was certainly my favorite of the night, and it wasn't because of the match itself. I've found a new heel to hate/love, and he is The Wicked Nemesis. He came out with his wrestler, Common Knowledge, Damon Kristopher. For those unfamiliar with the Wicked Nemesis, he has a mohawk and he wears a yellow and black mask. His mask is similar to that worn by Pandora. He yelled in the faces of the crowd, and he called us all sheeple. He told an old lady to "go have a heart attack", and she nearly hit him. As he walked away from her, he said "Someone please sit the mummy down." The lady followed him around the ring and tried to hit him again. Security came down and he pushed the two security guards into her. At this point he says, " If you get in my face, I'll slap you. I don't care how many psalms you wrote." Everything that happened with Wicked Nemesis eclipsed the match for me. Mason won by pinning Damon Kristopher, and Nemesis threw a chair after his man lost.

During the first intermission my son and I went around and collected signatures on our shirts. We wore our PCW shirts to the UIW event in hopes of dragging some of their crowd further south to Porterdale, and because a lot of the wrestlers that were on the card wrestle at PCW.

Match 3: Shane Marx vs UIW Internet Champion Fred Yehi.

Shane Marx enters with his manager Dewitt Dawson and Jay Fury who appears to be videotaping the match for Shane. Yehi gets control of the match at about 8 minutes in. The audience is 100% behind Yehi. What I've noticed most about this match is that Yehi and Marx have very good chemistry. There are lots of nearfalls as both participants go back and forth for dominance. It ends, however, in disqualification. Marx was trapped in Yehi's Koji clutch, when Dawson interfered. It erupted into a big brawl with Jay Fury and Dawson helping Marx beat up Yehi. Mason comes to the ring to intervene on the behalf of Fred Yehi. Two matches have been set up for next week's event in Villa Rica. Jay Fury is set to take on Murder One, and Shane Marx is set to face UIW heavyweight Champion Bull Buchanan.

Match 4: Nina Monet vs. Pandora

I have to remember that each promotion has its own universe, its own set of rules. No! Pandora is a bad guy, I can't cheer for her, my heart is crushed. People here know nothing of the fan favorite Pandora in Porterdale. I'm so used to cheering Pandora and booing Nina that I had a hard time falling in line. Pandora keeps kicking at the photographer when he comes too close to her. When the timekeeper announces that there are only 5 minutes left in the match, the referee is distracted. Pandora manages to get Nina's attention long enough to throw white powder in her face. Pandora pins Nina after cheating. She celebrates her victory.

During the second intermission my son found a group of kids to stage mock wrestling matches with. There is a lot of open space at this facility for kids to run around and have fun together. Also at the second intermission, they mark concessions down to $1 for everything and popcorn for 50 cents. This was good because we generally make multiple concession stand trips at events.

Match 5: Jimmy Rave vs. Bull Buchanan.

Jimmy Rave spent too much time walking around the ring. This match took too long to get started, in my opinion. Bull Buchanan is obviously the crowd's favorite because he is an "everyman" country hero. Jimmy Rave seemed to be a cocky bad guy. Shane Marx and Jay Fury interfered attacking Bull Buchanan. Jimmy Rave picks up a chair and decided to defend Buchanan. Jimmy Rave is a good guy? I'm honestly not certain. The match between Bull Buchanan and Shane Marx is mentioned again. Bull Buchanan cuts a promo. "I don't talk much since everyone else talks too much." He goes on to say there's too much talking and not enough fighting, and that the people who jumped him from behind can jump him to his face. He tells the crowd that if they aren't happy at the end of next week's show he'll personally refund their money. He promised to send Marx away with a special goodbye.

Main Event: So Fine Mafia with Stupid vs. "Family First" (Josh Storm and Frankie Valentine" with Glacier.

The So Fine Mafia are hated by this crowd, but their insults are pretty amusing. They included "I'm holding a title, you're holding a chili dog.", and my personal favorite "Rock and Roll Express better strap on their depends because I'm going to kick the metamucil out of them." The guy also went for cheap heat by telling the very conservative crowd "Yes I voted for Obama." I don't even know why a crowd would consider that an egregious act of heeldom, however, it worked and got him more boos than ever. One of their guys also bills himself as "from anywhere but Buchanan, GA" which I found amusing. Their opponents, the team of Family First, Josh Storm and Frankie Valentine are loved by all. At the merchandise stands they sell little necklaces and hairbows with Josh Storm's picture on them. They also purses with Josh Storm's name painted on them. He is very popular with the young ladies apparently. Josh Storm does have a pretty good dropkick. Former WCW star Glacier still has it. He manages to support the team without stealing the spotlight too badly. He does get the "hot tag", however, and starts laying waste to So Fine Mafia. Stupid sprayed him in the face with something and got disqualified. After that chaos erupts and there is a free for all beatdown. Next week there is going to be a weapons match, and the event is going to be something called "fans bring a weapon" night. That should be extremely exciting. Everyone who is near Villa Rica should go see this show, and I plan to try and make it out to their next Buchanan date.

No comments:

Post a Comment